Chocolate Banana Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Icing
I finally gave into my week-long craving for cream cheese icing and made these delicious Chocolate Banana Cupcakes!
Chocolate Banana Cupcakes:
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (35 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder (regular or Dutch-processed)
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 1 medium sized banana)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) warm water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) canola, corn, or vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Line 12 regular-sized muffin cups with paper liners or spray each cup with a non stick vegetable spray.
In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In another large bowl, whisk together the egg, mashed banana, water, milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir, or whisk, until combined. (The batter is quite thin.) Pour or scoop the batter into the muffin cups, about 3/4 full, and bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
(Recipe from Joy of Baking.)
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 pkg. (16 oz.) powdered sugar (about 4 cups), sifted
Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla in large bowl with mixer until well blended.
Add sugar gradually, beating after each addition until well blended.
I added a drop of pink food coloring for an extra, pretty touch!
- Note: The cream cheese icing is enough for the cupcake recipe doubled. If you do the cupcake recipe 1 time, make 1/2 of the icing recipe.
(Recipe from Kraft.)